Stat 217 – Introduction to Statistical Concepts and Methods
Spring 2012 Information
Students will gain an understanding of statistical principles and their
use. Students will learn how to collect meaningful data,
data using graphical and numerical techniques, apply basic probability
rules and perform standard statistical analyses for one and two
They will learn to interpret and judge the statistical information in
world around them and how to interpret computer output.
In this course, students will analyze real life data using the applets and JMP(TM)Software
Package, incorporating this output into a lab report.
- Excerpts from two text resources will be supplied by the instructor
- Workshop Statistics, four edition, A.
Rossman and B. Chance (Wiley, 2012)
- Introduction to Statistical Investigations, N. Tintle, B. Chance, G. Cobb, A. Rossman, S. Roy, T. Swanson, J. VanderStoep (Wiley, 2013)
- Access to internet (ability to run applets), JMP software
- Additional Handouts (Available from instructor)
- Scientific Calculator
- USB drive
- Email Address
- Large 3-ring binder
Intermediate Algebra or equivalent and ELM.